The J.W. Eaves Movie Ranch is located near Santa Fe about an hour from Albuquerque. In 1958, Eaves bought “Rancho Alegre.” The first production filmed at the ranch was the CBS television series Empire (1962).
In 1969, Gene Kelly, the famous dancer, showed up. He wanted to make a move called The Cheyenne Social Club with James Stewart and Henry Fonda. (It was the only western that Gene Kelly directed and produced.) Eaves and Gene Kelly made a deal that they would split the costs for the movie set. It was agreed that the buildings would be built full-scale and that the replica of the 1800’s western town would remain on the J.W. Eaves Ranch. Over the years, the ranch grew to more than three dozen buildings, including a church used for weddings.
Photo count: 26
Posted: December 27, 2012